Shih Tzu Normal Body Temperature
Sometimes, your vet will want to know if your dog has a fever. Shih Tzus have a higher body temperature than humans, with a normal temperature of about 100 to 102.5 rectally, but you can’t just feel a dog’s forehead to guess if he has a fever. Instead, you need to insert a thermometer into his rectum.
Here’s How Take Shih Tzu Temperature
Believe me, the dog doesn’t like it any more than you do, but that doesn’t mean you can skip this often important task. To take your dog’s temperature, follow these steps:
1. Use a mercury or digital rectal or oral thermometer and reset it or shake it down.
2. Coat the thermometer with petroleum jelly to lubricate it.
3. Holding the dog still, lift up his tail and slowly and gently insert the thermometer about one inch into the rectum, just under the tail. Be prepared to hold him steady.
4. Hold the thermometer and the dog still for about two minutes for the mercury thermometer or until the digital thermometer beeps.
5. Remove the thermometer and read the results.
If your Shih Tzu’s temperature is below 100 degrees or if it is over 104, call your veterinarian immediately.
This guide about taking shih tzu temperature and normal body temperature of shih tzu might be helpful for someone who owns shih tzu. So, always feel free to share useful information with others.
You may also like to read: Shih Tzu Heat Stroke Symptoms and Prevention Guide